The Contemporary Asian Studies Student Union is currently recruiting editors for its pilot journal, Synergy: The Journal of Contemporary Asian Studies. Synergy is an undergraduate academic journal with a regional focus on East, Southeast, and South Asia. The journal will consist mainly of research articles and photographs that examine recent political, social, and economic developments in the region. Articles will be published online throughout the year and then compiled into a print publication at the end of each academic year.
For further details see below or visit http://utcassu.com/synergy-hiring/
We expect our editors to:
- Spend an average of 1-3 hours per week reviewing submissions
- Process approximately 5 submissions per month (note: this number could vary depending on volume of submissions)
- Do two rounds of readings for each submission before sending the results back to the Editor-in-Chief: skim and read, and edit submissions from students following the journal’s style guidelines
- Attend monthly meetings hosted by the Editor-in-Chief/Assistant Editor-in-Chief for final review of accepted articles for the monthly online publication
Application & Eligibility Requirement
All students enrolled in the Faculty of Arts & Science are welcome to apply for a position on our editorial team. Preference will be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Past writing and/or editorial experience
- Knowledge of political, economic, and/or social issues in East, Southeast, and South Asia
- Work, cultural, and/or study experience in Asia
- Mastery of an Asian language
Please submit all 3 items listed below to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Synergy Journal Editor Application” by August 7, 2015. Requests for interviews will be sent shortly after to determine your placement.
- Resume (PDF or Word file) – highlighting your relevant past experiences and skills you can offer as a prospective editor for Synergy
- A short English language writing sample (less than 200 words) in any topic or discipline
- Answers to the questions listed below (in a separate PDF or Word attachment):
1. Why would you like to join the Synergy editorial team? (100 words max)
2. Are there any Asian languages in which you are comfortable reading, writing, and/or editing?
3. What direction do you see Synergy journal going in the next 2 years? (200 words max)
Please direct questions about the journal or editorial positions to email@example.com.
Deadline: August 7, 2015