Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions

What are the University of Toronto’s plans for 2021-22 instruction?

Per University of Toronto President’s message: Starting this September, we are optimistic that most courses, student services and co-curricular activities will be able to proceed in person, with the possible exception of large-scale gatherings. Likewise, we expect that researchers will continue to increase their in-person activities, and that administrative and support staff will resume on-campus work. At the same time, we will continue to leverage the innovations developed over the past year, such as high-quality online teaching and delivery of services to students and faculty members, to maintain flexibility where needed or enhance the experience of our community. We will also strive to offer more flexible work arrangements for all employees, while ensuring that our students are once again able to experience in-person learning and on-campus activities. For more information, please see the memo recently circulated to the University’s academic leadership.

With many Visa Application centers being shut what are the recommended steps for incoming international MPP students?

An internship is a required component of the Master of Public Policy Program. As a student registered in this program, you will need a work permit to fulfil this requirement. This work permit can be used to complete a required work placement either on or off campus.
To be eligible for this work permit you must:
• have a valid study permit, and
• get a letter from your faculty indicating that employment is an integral part of your degree program. Please contact Katie Boomgaardt for this letter.

There is no processing fee for the co-op work permit. The University of Toronto will be listed as the employer and the expiry date of your work permit will match the expiry date of your study permit. However, the co-op work permit can only be used to complete your required internship hours/months. We highly recommend that you apply online for a co-op work permit at the same time as your study permit. In order to do this, you will need your acceptance letter showing that a co-op or internship placement is part of your program’s curriculum. You can then apply for a study permit and your co-op work permit will be processed your study permit application.

Click here to learn how you can pre-pay your tuition fees if required for visa purposes.

For further information, please consult the Centre for International Experience website.

If travel restrictions are still in place in the fall, will the start of the program be delayed?

We understand that the introduction of measures in response to the current situation has affected students from many regions. This will not prevent students from enrolling at U of T in the Fall and will not delay Fall classes.

Will pre-program activities such as Math-Stats Prep Course and Orientation in the Fall be changed?

The Math-Stats Prep Course is expected to commence in August, 2021. It will be delivered online, allowing incoming students to complete the course from their home location. In September, Math Camp will continue online, with Orientation planned for the week of Tuesday, September 7 – Friday, September 10, 2021

What resources should I be looking to get the most current information on polices and provisions being implemented by the Canadian government?

Here are some additional links for more information on policies and provisions being implemented by the government: