Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Fees & Financial Aid

Finding Aid Opportunities


Students are encouraged to carefully plan a budget if they plan on being a student at the University of Toronto. The University’s Awards and Admissions department offers Budget Tools and Financial Counselling to help students. Please visit the Awards and Admissions website for more information.

Tuition Fees Schedule 2019-2020


The 2019-20 domestic MPP student fee is $19,320.90 CAD per year. (Find the fee schedule for 2019-20 here.)


The 2019-20 international MPP student fee is $43,786.90 CAD per year. (Find the fee schedule for 2019-20 here.)

For more information on being an international student and visa requirements at the University of Toronto please click here.

Financial Aid

The Master of Public Policy program does not offer a formal financial aid program. Instead, potential or current MPP students are encouraged to explore the options below when looking to fund their degree. The MPP program does not offer full-tuition funding. Admitted students are advised that funding sources are limited once they have begun the program. Current MPP students fund their degree through a combination of scholarships (if awarded), government loans, bank loans, and personal finances.

For more information on funding options available to domestic students through the University of Toronto click here. For funding options available to international students click here.

OSAP Loans

The Master of Public Policy is an OSAP approved program. Students who are applying on the OSAP website ( can select the program by entering the keywords “Global Affairs”.

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a program run by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, and funded by the provincial and federal governments. As a need-based program, it provides loans, grants, scholarships, and bursaries based on a formula that compares educational costs to the student’s own income and assets. OSAP provides eligible Ontario students with financial assistance to help pay for their tuition, books, mandatory fees, living costs, and transportation.

OSAP Applications for funding for the Academic Year 2018-2019 are now open. Please visit their website for more information.

Students from Provinces other than Ontario

Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial governments. Applications for the fall term are usually available in late May or early June. It is recommended that students apply for student loans at least 10 weeks prior to the start of the new academic year. Please note that students may only ever hold student loans from one province. Please see the appropriate link below for information on the student loans offered by your province of residence . Please visit the Admissions & Awards website for information on American Student Loans.

Canadian provinces outside Ontario:  Website:,  Email:

Supporting documentation, required signatures, paper applications (including the fee payment) as well as cost sheets should all be submitted to Admissions & Awards.

Admissions & Awards

172 St. George Street Toronto, Ontario M5R 0A3

Phone: 416-978-2190



Scotiabank Professional Student Loan

If you do not qualify for government student aid or need additional funds, MPP students may apply for the Professional Student Loan Program offered by Scotiabank. This is an interest bearing loan. But, provided you have an acceptable credit rating, it will be provided to you without a co-signer. For more information on Scotiabank’s Professional Student Loan Program, please click here.

Students interested in applying for the Scotiabank’s Professional Student Loan Program may contact the following representatives:

Shanta Gulchand


Lynne Owen

Other Loans & Bursaries

For information on other loans and bursaries, please see the School of Graduate Studies website.


International students are encouraged to seek financial assistance programs and loans from their country of residence. International students do not qualify for Canadian government financial assistance or bank loans.

Scholarships and Awards

The MPP program offers an array of merit-based scholarships to support second year students, that are awarded based on final year GPA standings upon the completion of the first year of the MPP program.

Please see below for some of the highlights:

Paul Cadario Fellowship in Public Policy


  •         Established by Paul Cadario
  •         Awarded to second year Master of Public Policy (MPP) students based on academic achievement in the first year of the MPP program.

Peterson Tribute Scholarships

  • Established by David Peterson
  • Awarded to second year Master of Public Policy (MPP) students based on a combination of academic merit and participation in student leadership initiatives at the School.

Mark Stabile Founding Director Award

  • Established by the School’s Founding Director , Professor Mark Stabile
  • Awarded to current second year students based on academic merit.

Cancer Care Ontario Scholarship

  • Established by Cancer Care Ontario
  • Awarded to a second year student with a demonstrated  interest in studying health policy.

Provincial & Federal Awards

OGS (Ontario Graduate Scholarship)

Value of Award: $15,000 ($5,000 per term)

Eligibility: Students who are Ontario residents, including visa students may apply for OGS

Students must have a GPA 0f 3.7 or A- in their last 20 courses to be eligible for this award.

Deadline to submit application to MPP program: March 1, 2019 (International Students) and April 1, 2019 (Domestic Students)  (please submit your application online as directed below)

The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) is now administered and distributed at a departmental level. The MPP  program accepts OGS application directly and is responsible for distributing the award. Current Year One and potential MGA students may apply for OGS using the on-line application form now available for students to access via the SGS website or by clicking here.

The University of Toronto OGS application requires that students provide the same supporting materials as has been included in previous OGS applications:

  • Two Academic Assessment reports (referees will be required to submit on-line)
  • Plan of study (approx. 500 words)
  • Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions (unofficial or student issued copies are permitted)
  • List of previous awards/publications/conferences/research experience

Important note for students: This application will only be assessed at the University of Toronto. Students must submit an OGS application to each institution for which they are seeking admission. OGS awards are no longer transferrable by a student from one university to another.

SSHRC (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council)

Value of Award: $17, 500 (CAD)

Eligibility: Students who are citizens or permanent residents of Canada may apply for SSHRC.

Students must hold an 80% (A- or 3.7) average in their last two years of undergraduate study to be eligible for this award.

Deadline to submit application to MPP program: December 3, 2018

MPP students are eligible to apply for the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Master’s Award. Students can apply for this award starting in the fall of each year for use in the next academic year. Both current Year One MPP students and students applying to the MPP program may apply for this award.

Although the MPP program does not have a formal thesis component, MPP students are eligible to apply for SSHRC based on the research components of the required Capstone course and the elective independent study course.

Application Process:

When completing a CGS M application, students may select up to 5 separate universities (one graduate department per university) where they intend to pursue graduate studies and hold the award. Once completed and submitted online, the entire application will be available to all the proposed universities the student has listed. Students applying for an award at U of T will not be required to submit a paper application.

Applicants must complete and submit the online application using the Research Portal. Students should refer to the CGS M application instructions currently housed on the NSERC’s website for details on how to complete their application. Additionally the Canadian Common CV (CCV) must be completed and uploaded to the CGS M application.

A completed CGS M application will include the following:

  • Completed 3 part online application
  • Identification
  • Summary of Proposal
  • Activity Details
  • Outline of proposed research (as PDF attachment)
  • Canadian Common CV (as PDF attachment)
  • All official academic transcripts, undergraduate and graduate (as PDF attachment)**
  • Completed Reference Assessments (x2) – invitation initiated and form completed electronically

** registered students must provide official transcripts showing fall 2017 registration.

***SSHRC cannot be transferred to other schools. Students must use the award at university that awarded it to them.

Resources and Contact Information:

Other Scholarships & Awards

Students are encouraged to visit ULife for postings on various external and internal awards and bursaries open to students.  Students should be proactive when applying for external and internal funding.

CIE Study Abroad Funding

The Centre for International Experience offers various funding opportunities for students who are planning to study abroad in their second year of the MPP program. Please visit the CIE website for more information.

TA & RAships

The MPP program does not offer Teaching Assistant positions as part of the offer of admissions. TA positions are posted by participating departments and students are encouraged to seek out these positions independently.

TAships are unionized and often go to continuing PhD students before Masters students. However, students should still apply to any position available. Please visit departmental websites (Example: Department of Political Science) to view TA positions.

Students seeking a position as a Research Assistant should contact professors directly. Professors often have personal grants through which they fund RAships. The University’s Work Study program also offers RA positions to students who qualify for OSAP. Please visit the Career Centre’s website in late August/early September for more information on the types of positions available.


Grad House is University of Toronto’s residence for graduate students. Students must apply directly to Grad House for a spot. Please visit their website for more information.

More information on housing options for students can be found here.