Person walks between two shelves of books in a library

Core curriculum

Core requirements of a Master of European and Russian Affairs

You will enroll in two years of full-time study comprised of 6.0 full credits, and also:

Take courses offered through CERES and our affiliated departments (including required courses ERE2001H & ERE2000Y)
Conduct original research and write your Major Research Paper under the supervision of a CERES-affiliated faculty member
Gain regional experience through a CERES-approved internship or academic exchange in Europe, Russia, or Eurasia
Fulfill your foreign language requirement and improve your language skills
Maintain a minimum B+ average to remain in good standing and be eligible for funding
Choose a major field by completing 2.0 credits in a single academic discipline

Credit requirements

You will complete 6.0 credits during your degree at CERES. Please note that a full-year course is equal to 1.0 credit, whereas a half-year course is equal to 0.5 credit.

Credit breakdown
  • 0.5 credit – ERE2001HF – Gateway Proseminar in European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies (This course is required in your first fall semester at CERES).
  • 1.0 credit – ERE2000Y1 – Core Interdisciplinary Research Seminar. (This course will begin in the winter semester of your first year and will continue over the following semesters until the completion of your Major Research Paper.)
  • 0.5 credit – Approved internship and/or earn up to 3.0 credits on an approved academic exchange. (The internship is usually completed in the summer after your first year. If you choose to do an academic exchange, this will usually occur in the fall semester of your second year.)
  • 4.0 credits – Courses of your choosing (with the approval of the instructor and CERES Graduate Coordinator) from CERES-affiliated departments at the University of Toronto. Please note that 2.0 of these credits must be in a single discipline, which will be your major field.

    Visit our courses page for detailed course listings
Enrolment information

All students enrolled in the CERES MA will:

  • Complete our two required courses (ERE2001HF and ERE2000Y).
  • Participate in our program’s regional component through either an international internship (ERE1165H1) and/or international exchange at a CERES-approved institution.
  • Choose courses from a wide array of offerings through other departments at the University of Toronto. Among these courses, you must:
    • Complete 2.0 credits in a single discipline as your major field.
    • Choose the remaining credits from other disciplines.

As a CERES student, you can take courses throughout many different departments at the University of Toronto. Please note that the enrolment process can vary depending on department and discipline.

Please read the following information carefully:

  • Select and enrol for your courses through ACORN. Here you can also search for courses, join wait lists, and check class capacity and enrolment numbers.
  • You will be automatically enrolled in the two required courses, ERE2001H (fall semester of your first year) and ERE2000Y (begins winter semester of your first year and continues until the completion of your Major Research Paper).
  • All course selections must be approved by the CERES Graduate Coordinator. Please make an appointment to discuss your course selection with the CERES Program & Internship Coordinator prior to enrolment.
  • All courses offered through CERES begin with the ERE course code. You do not need permission to enrol in these courses – simply add them on ACORN and they will be automatically approved by CERES administration.
  • For all courses in external departments, you must complete an ADD/DROP form, which requires signatures (either in person or electronic) from yourself, the course instructor, CERES Graduate Coordinator, and the Graduate Coordinator of the department that offers the course. Please reach out to these individuals directly to attain the required signatures. For the ease of enrolment and in cases of limited course capacity, it is best to begin this process before the start of the semester, but you are also encouraged to attend courses and speak to course instructors on an individual basis. Some seminars are heavily enrolled, and it is your responsibility to check enrolment on ACORN and reach out to course instructors to express your interest in taking their course. It is not guaranteed that you will receive a place in every class in which you wish to enrol. The ADD/DROP form can be downloaded and/or printed here:
  • Enrolment dates vary per department – please pay attention to emails from the CERES Program & Internship Coordinator and consult the list of courses below to check the dates that you can begin to enrol.
  • You are welcome to take courses from a wide array of departments, however, it is required that your final essays and research projects are related to Europe, Russia, or Eurasia.

Please note:

  • Courses with a “Y” suffix (example ERE2000Y) are full-year courses that are worth 1.0 credit. They run from September to April.
  • All other courses are half-year courses and worth 0.5 credit. They run either in the fall semester (September to December) or winter semester (January to April). Those with an “F” suffix (example ERE2001HF) run in the fall and those with an “S” suffix (example SLA1220HS) run in the winter.
  • For courses with a dual undergraduate/graduate code, you must enrol using the graduate code. Failure to do so will result in the loss of credit for the course.

Important Dates:

Foreign language requirement

The foreign language requirement is a key component of your degree at CERES and must be fulfilled in order to graduate.

  • You must pass a 200-level foreign language course – or its equivalent (proficiency test or external certificate).
  • If you have some previous knowledge of a foreign language, you may schedule a placement test with the relevant language department at the University.
  • If you wish to start learning a new foreign language, you will begin with a 100-level language course in your first year and continue with a 200-level in your second.
  • Your language requirement can be waived in some circumstances. For example:
    • If you have already taken your foreign language at a 200-level or equivalent and have a passing grade.
    • If you can provide an original language certificate from a recognized institution such as Alliance Française, Goethe Institute, or Cervantes Institute (for example: DELF Level B2 or equivalent)
    • You have passed a proficiency test within the University of Toronto. For more information on scheduling placement tests contact the relevant departments:
      • Slavic Languages and Literatures
      • Germanic Languages & Literatures
      • Hungarian Studies
      • Italian Studies
      • Spanish & Portuguese
      • Modern Greek

Please note: The French Department no longer offers placement exams. If you are interested in taking French through the French Department, you must enroll in FSL6000H Reading French for Graduate Students or opt for FSL6000 (exam only option).