The Petro Jacyk Program for the Study of Ukraine sponsors exchanges with Kyiv-Mohyla Academy for graduate students.
The Kyiv-Mohyla Academy was established in the 17th century by the Metropolitan Petro Mohyla and became a widely respected educational institution and centre for the development of Ukraine’s first political and culture elite. The Academy was closed in 1817 by the Russian Tsarist government but was reinstated in 1992, after a 175-year hiatus, as a secular teaching institution, becoming a symbol of the rebirth of independent Ukraine. The Academy was granted the status of “National University” in 1994.
Widely regarded as the principal school in Ukraine for the social sciences and humanities, the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy is also a leading centre for social and political research. Some 2,500 students from across Ukraine and abroad receive their education at the Academy from leading Ukrainian and Western scholars. The Academy has become a centre for the promotion of democratic values in Ukraine, and its students are actively involved in the political life of the country.
The Academy is a bilingual institution: courses are taught in Ukrainian and English. Approximately 40% of the library holdings are in foreign languages, primarily in English. Exchange students can also take advantage of being in the capital of Ukraine, the site of major governmental and legislative bodies, non-governmental organizations, and the richest state libraries and archives.