MGA Admissions Information
**Please note: The Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy will be closed from December 22, 2018-January 6, 2019. Admissions inquiries will not be answered during this time.
Applications for *fall 2019 open Monday, October 8, 2018 and close Monday, January 14, 2019.
*Please note there is no winter admittance.
- Four-year (4 year) Bachelors degree (in any discipline) or equivalent.
- A minimum CGPA of mid B (3.0), and a minimum GPA of B+ (3.3) in the final year of undergraduate studies. Admission is highly competitive, and meeting this requirement does not guarantee admission.
- International Students: Please refer to the School of Graduate Studies degree equivalency tool to ensure you have the required credentials to apply to the MGA program.
**If you are applying to any of our combined degree programs, dual degree or collaborative specialization, please ensure you meet the application requirements of both degrees and programs. For more information on our combined programs and collaborative programs please visit our Joint Programs page.
Are you an international student? Visit our international students page for information on being an international student at the Munk School of Global Affairs.
Please follow the following instructions carefully.
Apply online through the School of Graduate Studies
Applications to the MGA must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) through the online admissions application, which is housed on a secure server in the University of Toronto. Once you access the SGS online admissions application and enter your contact information, an applicant identification number and a password will be emailed to you. You can leave and return to your application at any point until you move to the application fee payment stage. At that point you can return to check on the status of this application, including whether we have received your supporting documents.
**IMPORTANT: Once you have submitted an application to the MGA program, you will be assigned a JOINid which will be sent to you via email. Please ensure you keep this JOINid on file as if you are admitted to the program you will need it to log into UofT services before an official UTORid is assigned to you.
Payment of your application fee ($120) must be received by the School of Graduate Studies before we will consider your application. You may pay online by VISA or MasterCard. We are unable to consider any requests to waive the application fee.
To proceed to the SGS online application please click HERE.
Once all applications have been received after the deadline, we will begin reviewing applications. First round offers are typically made by early March, and admissions continue in rounds until the incoming class is full, at which point unsuccessful candidates will be notified by e-mail. All admissions communications will be done via e-mail including offers of admission and rejections of admission, with prepared offer of admission packages sent in the mail after the email offer of admission has been sent.
For questions related to the SGS online application system please click HERE.
The following documents are required to apply to the MGA program and must be uploaded to the online SGS application. Please note that you cannot make any changes to your Application Summary once you have paid your application fee. Also, please be careful uploading your application documents. You cannot make changes to them once they have been uploaded.
Transcripts of your academic record from each university attended are required for admission including transcripts from any exchange programs attended.
The University of Toronto now requires applicants to submit an electronic copy of their transcript as part of the application package. Applicants must either scan or take a screen shot of their transcript and upload it to the application. All transcripts must be submitted this way including transcripts for UofT students.
Please do not submit hard copies of transcripts. Only applicants offered admission to the program will be required to submit hard copies of their transcripts.
Applicants who attended universities outside of North America must provide notarized English translations to accompany all documentation not written in English. If academic records do not reflect the completion of studies in progress, official final academic records indicating that the degree has been conferred must be submitted to us as soon as possible and before admission can be finalized. Instructions about clearing these conditions are found on the offer of admission.
Two Letters of Recommendation
Statements of Intent
Please provide both of the following statements in one PDF document:
- Please submit a statement of approximately 400-500 words that identifies a global affairs question, topic, or problem that interests you, and reflects on how it is being addressed, and/or which provides an innovative approach to addressing it.
- Please submit a personal statement of approximately 400-500 words that discusses how you have come to be interested in global affairs, and what you intend to accomplish or pursue in this field after completing an MGA at the Munk School of Global Affairs.
Resume or CV
NEW! Online Video Question
As of fall 2018, applicants to the MGA program are now required to complete an online video question as part of their application requirements. Applicants may log into Kira Talent any time before the application deadline of January 14, 2019 and complete their online video question.
- Applicants are required to answer ONE randomly selected question. The questions are related to issues in global affairs. Applicants have 5 mins to prep their answer and 3 mins to record their response.
- Once your response has been recorded you cannot go back and record another one. Applicants have the opportunity to practice on three questions before they record their response.
- For questions related to this component of the application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions related to technical support on Kira Talent, please contact email@example.com.
Are standardized tests required?
Proof of English Language Proficiency (if necessary)
Equivalently, you are not required to submit scores if and only if (a) you have a degree from a Canadian university (regardless of the language of instruction) or (b) you have a degree for which the language of instruction and examination was English (regardless of the country in which you obtained the degree).
Please note that test scores more than two years old by the application deadline of January 14, 2019 will not be accepted (no exceptions).
Minimum Recommended Scores:
TOEFL iBT Test (min score): Total score of 100-120. Speaking 22-30.
TOEFL PBT Test (min score): Total score between 600-677. Min 5 on the Test of Written English (TWE).
IELTS min score between Band 7-9.
Please click HERE for further information.
Have a question about the MGA application?
Contact the MGA Admissions Office
Megan E. Ball-Chiodi
Master of Global Affairs