Fees and financial aid

Fees & financial aid

Fees and financial aid

Domestic students

MGA domestic students entering in fall 2024
$21,070.00 (plus incidental fees)
*All amounts are in Canadian dollars.
Please note that the fees listed above are for one academic year.

International students

MGA international students entering in fall 2024
$49,920.00 (plus incidental fees) 
*All amounts are in Canadian dollars.
Please note that the fees listed above are for one academic year.

For more information on being an international student and visa requirements at the University of Toronto please visit the Centre for International Experience website. International students should try to get a student visa as early as possible as wait times for visas will vary and can delay your start date for the program.

Shot of a stone building on the University of Toronto campus in the fall.

Financial Aid

The MGA program does not have a financial aid program. Students enrolled in the MGA program fund their degree through scholarships (if awarded), government loans (OSAP, U.S. Federal Direct Loan Program, etc.), bank loans (ScotiaLine for Students), personal savings, and RAships and TAships. It is important you budget your finances before starting the MGA program to ensure you are able to afford the degree through its entirety. UofT has a Financial Planning Tool to help you plan your finances. In addition, The School of Graduate Studies has financial advisors for current MGA students.

OSAP loans

The Master of Global Affairs is an OSAP approved program. Students who are applying on the OSAP website (http://osap.gov.on.ca) can select the program by entering the keywords “Global Affairs”.

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a program run by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities, and funded by the provincial and federal governments. As a need-based program, it provides loans, grants, scholarships, and bursaries based on a formula that compares educational costs to the student’s own income and assets. OSAP provides eligible Ontario students with financial assistance to help pay for their tuition, books, mandatory fees, living costs, and transportation.

Please visit the OSAP website for more information.

Students from provinces other than Ontario

Students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents may be eligible for financial assistance from their provincial governments. Applications for the fall term are usually available in late May or early June. It is recommended that you apply for student loans at least 10 weeks prior to the start of the new academic year. Please note that you may only ever hold student loans from one province. Please see the appropriate link below for information on the student loans offered by your province of residence . Please visit the Admissions & Awards website for information on American Student Loans.

Learn more about financial aid for students from Canadian provinces outside Ontario: http://www.future.utoronto.ca/finances/financial-aid/osap-and-other-government-aid, Email: oop.financialaid@utoronto.ca

Supporting documentation, required signatures, paper applications (including the fee payment) as well as cost sheets should all be submitted to Admissions & Awards.

Admissions & Awards
172 St. George StreetToronto, Ontario M5R 0A3
Phone: 416-978-2190
E-mail: osap.staff@utoronto.ca
Website: www.adm.utoronto.ca

ScotiaLine for Students

If you do not qualify for government student aid or need additional funds, MGA students may apply for the ScotiaLine for Students offered by Scotiabank. Available to domestic students only.

Students interested in applying for the ScotiaLine for Students may contact the following representatives:

Shanta Gulchand



Lynne Owen


Loans & bursaries

For information on loans and bursaries available to graduate students, please see the School of Graduate Studies website.

Funding for international students

International students are encouraged to seek financial assistance programs and loans from their country of residence. International students do not qualify for Canadian government financial assistance or bank loans.

International students are eligible to work in Canada as long as they have a valid study permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN). There is a 20-hour limit on off-campus work per week but no limit for on-campus work.

Funding for U.S. citizens


The MGA program now qualifies for U.S. Direct Loan funding. Learn more about funding options available to U.S. students.  

Indigenous Tuition Initiative

The University of Toronto has created a new Indigenous Tuition Initiative to foster and strengthen relationships between U of T and Indigenous communities in Ontario, across Canada, and in the United States. This initiative includes three programs:

  • The U of T Indigenous Tuition Grant covers the cost of tuition in eligible undergraduate and graduate programs for students from the nine identified First Nations communities
  • Indigenous students from the rest of Canada may be eligible for domestic Ontario tuition fee
  • Native American/Alaska Native students from the continental U.S.A. may be eligible for domestic Ontario tuition fee

Please visit the University Registrar's Office for more information. 

Teaching Assistant & Research Assistant Positions

You can help supplement the cost of your degree by taking on a position as a Teaching Assistant or Research Assistant. Teaching assistants at the University of Toronto are unionized and often go to students pursuing Ph.D. programs as part of their funding packages. However, there are many positions available to other graduate students during the academic year. View current TA positions here. The MGA program offers Research Trainee positions for students who want to work directly with MGA faculty (please see MGA Research Trainees). Beyond these positions, there are formal Research Assistants with other faculty across the University. RA positions and other paid research options are available on the CLNx job postings site.


Grad House is the University of Toronto’s residence for graduate students. Students must apply directly to Grad House for a spot. Please visit their website for more information.

More information on housing options for students can be found here.