Dual Degree with the London School of Economics (LSE)
Dual Degree with the London School of Economics (LSE)- New program starting fall 2021.
The dual degree between the University of Toronto and the London School of Economics will allow students to gain two distinct and complementary degrees – a Master of Global Affairs (MGA) from Toronto and a Master of Public Administration (MPA) from the London School of Economics — in two years rather than the four years otherwise required to complete these degrees consecutively. Students enrolled in the dual degree will benefit from the unique academic strengths of each institution, the depth of networks centered in their geographic regions, their distinct professional training, and internship resources. By attending institutions based in London and Toronto, they will benefit from studying global affairs from two different contexts (British and Canadian) thus ensuring a cross-cultural and global experience. Moreover, by combining a Master of Public Administration and a Master of Global Affairs, students will benefit from two complementary perspectives on the pressing global challenges of the 21st century.
Program Structure MPA/MGA
Program Structure MPA/MGA
Year 1- Students complete Year 1 courses at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- PP402 Quantitative Methods for Public Policy
- PP406 Philosophy for Public Policy
- PP440 Micro and Macro Economics for Public Policy
- PP478 Political Science for Public Policy
- Either PP449 Comparative Political Economy and Development OR PP450 Making government and policies deliver for development OR PP448 International Political Economy and Development OR PP454 Development Economics.
Summer-Students complete Year 2 courses at the Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy.
- GLA1007H Global Internship (0.5 FCE, 10 to 16 weeks) plus a critical reflection paper to be submitted in September of Year 2.
Fall and Winter (5.0 FCEs):
- GLA1006H International Legal Challenges (0.5 FCE)
- GLA2111H Research Methods for Global Affairs (0.5 FCE)
- GLA1011H Global Innovation Policy (0.5 FCE)
- GLA2000H Capstone Seminar (0.5 FCE)
- GLA2887H Final Research and Analysis (0.5 FCE; CR/NCR)
Additional 2.5 FCEs of electives in Year 2 (five half courses) at the 2000 level, all taken at the Munk School.
.Summer (1.0 FCE):
GLA22890Y: Policy Paper.
6 sessions full-time
- Applicants must apply through the London School of Economics and Political Science admissions website. Applicants to the dual MPA/MGA do not need to submit an application through the MGA program unless they also want to be considered for only the MGA as well. Please see our admissions page for information on applying to the MGA program.
- Applications for entrance fall 2021 are due: Applications are on a rolling basis.
Master of Public Administration Program
London School of Economics and Political Science
Master of Global Affairs Program
Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy, University of Toronto
Master of Public Administration (LSE) / Master of Global Affairs (University of Toronto):
Students must pay the tuition fees applicable in their host institution (please note that tuition fees are subject to change as per U of T policy):
Fall-Winter Year 1: LSE Tuition Fees
Summer Year 1 2022: U of T: EXEMPT
Fall-Winter Year 2 2022/2023: U of T: $21, 070.00 CAD (approx.) for domestic students. $43,960.00 CAD (approx.) for international students.
Summer Year 2 2023: U of T: EXEMPT
***Please note that dual degree MPA/MGA students are not eligible for MGA scholarship funding since the dual degree program tuition is already reduced (two degrees for the tuition price of one degree).
Questions? Please visit the London School of Economics website for more information.