The admissions process is a holistic one as the MPP admissions committee will review every aspect of your application before making a decision. The committee reviews your academic performance and considers your experience and/or extra-curricular activities, as well as all reference letters.
You will have successfully completed a four-year (4 year) Bachelor’s degree (in any discipline) or equivalent
You are required to have a minimum CGPA of mid-B (3.0), and a minimum GPA of B+ (3.3) in the final year of undergraduate studies. Admission is highly competitive and meeting this requirement does not guarantee admission.
International student degree equivalency
If you are an international student you should refer to U of T's School of Graduate Studies International Equivalency tool to find out if your degree meets the School of Graduate Studies requirements to apply.
English language proficiency test
You are required to submit official English test scores if and only if (a) you do not have a degree from a Canadian university and (b) the language of instruction and examination for your degree was not English. You can find the English language test requirements here.
If you have completed your admitting degree (undergraduate degree) outside of Canada, you are required to write the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test (www.ets.org/gre).
Combined Program (Juris Doctor (JD)/Master of Public Policy (MPP) program
If you are interested in pursuing the joint Master of Public Policy / Juris Doctor program, you will have to apply to each programs separately and gain entry into both programs. Alternately, you can apply to the MPP program while in the first year of the JD program.
What do we look for in an MPP student?
- Strong academic performance: Transcripts, test scores (GRE) and academic references
- Strong quantitative skills: Transcript, GRE, previous courses taken
- Interest or work in the field: Previous work or extra-curricular activity in public policy; other forms of expertise and lived experience that contribute to the diversity of the MPP program as indicated on the curriculum vitae and personal statement(s).
- Strong English language proficiency: English language proficiency test
- Stand-out qualities: Creativity, experience solving complex problems, leadership
Questions? Get in touch! Reach out to Rejeanne Puran, our Recruitment & Admissions Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.