- Interim Vice-Principal, Academic & Dean, University of Toronto Mississauga
Areas of interest
- Urban water planning including distribution, treatment and flood protection
- Collective action and trust in slum communities
- Infrastructure in developing countries
- Community participation in urban planning
- Environmental management
- Southeast Asia
Professor Amrita Daniere is a full professor of Geography and Planning. She served as Co-Director of the Urban Climate Resilience in Southeast Asia Partnership (which is funded through the IPaSS program, a cooperative initiative of SSHRC and IDRC). In March 2016, she was appointed Vice-Principal, Academic and Dean at U of T Mississauga for five years (2016-2021). Amrita has worked for over 20 years on issues related to infrastructure provision, urban environmental issues and community governance in Southeast Asian cities including Bangkok, Jakarta and Ho Chi Minh City. The current research project involves bringing together scholars and city builders from across North America and Southeast Asia to study how to better plan for urban climate change impacts, particularly in the rapidly growing secondary cities of Asia. Amrita holds a PhD in Public Policy from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
- Daniere A., Berquist M., and Drummond L. 2014. “Planning for Global Environmental Change in Bangkok’s Informal Settlements,” Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2014.945995
- Daniere A., Levkoe C., and Brail S., “Engaged pedagogy and transformative learning in graduate education: a service learning case study,” Canadian Journal of Higher Education 44 (3), 2014, 68-85.
- Daniere A. and Hy Van Luong. 2012. Vibrant societies and social capital in Asia,” in Amrita Daniere and Van Luong H. (eds.), The Dynamics of Social Capital and Civic Engagement in Asia, Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK, 1-24.
- Daniere A. and Van Luong H. eds. 2012. The Dynamics of Social Capital and Civic Engagement in Asia, Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK.
- Daniere A. and Douglas M. eds. 2008. The Politics of Civic Space in Asia: Building Urban Communities, Routledge (Taylor and Francis, Ltd.), London, UK.