Stephan Heblich is an Associate Professor and Munk Chair of Economics at the University of Toronto, with a cross-appointment to the Department of Economics. In his research, Heblich looks at spatial disparities in the distribution of consumptive or productive amenities that attract individuals or firms. In turn, this helps explain spatial variation in house prices, the share of high-skilled workers, innovative activities and entrepreneurship, or economic development. Another stream of research focuses on causes and consequences of regional disparities in voting behavior. To establish causality Heblich often studies historic developments that explain present-day economic outcomes. This explains his interest in economic history.
Heblich is on the editorial board of the Journal of Urban Economics, Regional Science and Urban Economics, and the Journal of Economic Geography. His research has been published in the American Economic Review, the Journal of the European Economic Association and the leading field journals in Urban Economics.
- Heblich, S., A. Trew and Y. Zylberberg (2021). East Side Story: Historic Pollution and Neighborhood Sorting, Journal of Political Economy, 129(5), 2021, 1508-1552. https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/713101
- Dippel, C. and S. Heblich (2021). Leadership and Social Norms: Evidence from the Forty-Eighters in the Civil War, American Economic Review 111(2), 2021, 472–505. https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w24656/w24656.pdf
- Heblich, S., S. Redding and D. Sturm (2020). The Making of the Modern Metropolis: Evidence from London, Quarterly Journal of Economics, 35(4), 2020, 2059–2133. https://academic.oup.com/qje/article-abstract/135/4/2059/5831735?redirectedFrom=fulltext
- Heblich, S. and A. Trew (2019). Banking and Industrialization, Journal of the European Economic Association, 17(6), 1753–1796. https://academic.oup.com/jeea/article-abstract/17/6/1753/5108476
- Dippel, C., R. Gold, S. Heblich and R. Pinto (2021). The Effect of Trade on Workers and Voters, Economic Journal, forthcoming. https://academic.oup.com/ej/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ej/ueab041/6274674
- Hanlon, W. and S. Heblich (2021). History and Urban Economics, Special Issue in Regional Science and Urban Economics, forthcoming. https://ideas.repec.org/p/nbr/nberwo/27850.html
- Stephan Heblich, Alex Trew, (2018) Banking and Industrialization, Journal of the European Economic Association, , jvy037, https://doi.org/10.1093/jeea/jvy037
- Falck, O., Fritsch, M., Heblich, S. (2018) Music in the Air. Estimating the Social Return to Cultural Amenities, Journal of Cultural Economics, 42(3), 2018, 365–391.
For a full list of Professor Heblich’s publications, please visit: https://sites.google.com/view/stephanheblich/publications